Thursday, February 6, 2014

New Additions

Bizzie playing with a toy on ledge, Vera in background
We are so glad we got the Females last year.  We picked them up on March 31st and couldn't be happier.  The two weeks they spent in there own cages separate from Freeney and Bizzie allowed us to work with Stella and Vera; just like I did with Bizzie.  Stella didn't need a lot of encouragement.  She was only 6 months old when we got her and Vera had turned a year old just a few days before.  As much as I love my chinchillas and learned from the breeder we got her from, I couldn't help feel that the way he bred his chins was like a small breeding farm.  Don't get me wrong, the place was clean, I learned a lot, and all the chins there were healthy and seemed happy.  But there is now way I can let my chins live in a 3 foot by 3 foot area for their entire life.  I like to think we rescued them.  Vera was very skittish and I had to work with her a lot like I did Bizzie.  I don't know if we scared her at first, or if it was the environment we just removed her from. 

Stella was hopping... she caught me trying to take a pic...
Stella adjusted a lot faster.  She and Freeney play all the time.  They run, jump, hop, and entertain each other constantly.  They cuddle and follow each other around.  I find it funny that they will both jump in the dust bath at the same time.  Right from the beginning she always came to me when I reached for her.  She has never sprayed urine or bark at me.  Stella even enjoys pets and scratches from Bill (the fiancé). She and Freeney were the easiest chins to handle. We got lucky with them.

It took about 2 months and Bizzie got Vera pregnant.  We figured this would happen eventually, but not this soon.  We were excited though.  During the pregnancy Vera really calmed down.  She got really friendly with me.  I talked gently to her, let her come to me, and she would take hay right from my hands.  It took her a lot longer to get that comfortable with my fiancé.  Vera ate tons of hay, drank so much water, but she got big fast and seemed to do well with the pregnancy. I did my best to make sure we didn't ever over do it with the treats.  I did find out that I had to refill the water bottle twice a day sometimes. 
Freeney and Stella playing on the couch.

The summer flew by and we kept up with the weekly cage cleanings.  We let everyone out to play on the bed or couch for exercise; except Vera, since she got pregnant we didn't want to chance harming her or the babies so we didn't get her out of the cage and handle her. This summer we got to bond with all the babies.  They all come to the cage doors and beg us to open them.  When we do they stay there and get petted, sometimes they crawl onto our hand or even up onto our shoulders.  Since I have gone back to school; I take all of my classes online and Bizzie loves sitting on my shoulder or put his butt on the back of the couch and stretch out so he can see over my head and watch me do my homework on the computer.  He is extremely silly and a mommas boy! He always has to know what is going on when I turn the computer on. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment