Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Vera's pregnancy

Checking life out from the couch
I left off with us realizing that Vera was pregnant and how we bonded with all four chinchillas during the summer.  I am going to fast forward to September.  The first came quickly and my birthday was right around the corner.  That weekend my mom got us tickets to go see the Colts for the first game of the season. I was terrified because I had gaged on the calendar that Vera could give birth anytime between September 6th through the 9th.  We had Bill's sister stay at the house while we were gone just in case.  We left Friday afternoon with Vera not giving birth.  Saturday (September 7th) we were 3 hours away in Indianapolis visiting family when his sister called.  She said there are two babies running all over the cage.  We were so excited and couldn't wait to get home to see the babies.  
Babies playing in the blanket
She sent us pics of them from her phone.  She said everything looked fine, but she had to go to work.  When she returned home she could only find one baby chin.  My heart dropped.  I told her to search everywhere, babies are known to escape and hide.  Five minutes later she called back saying she found the baby in the other chinchilla cage, curled up with Stella for warmth.  I told her to grab it and put it with mommy as fast as she can.  She said at first Stella wouldn't let her have the baby, but after three minutes of gentle talking she got the baby and put it with mommy.  She said it started feeding immediately.  Over the next few weeks my sleeping pattern became like a real mommy pattern.  I was up checking on them every 2-3 hours to make sure no one escaped.  But of course they were always escaping.  At least they 'ventured out together.  We would find them under the couch, under the cage, sitting my by the kitchen trash can, sleeping on the rug in the bathroom, and a few times they tried climbing the blankets to crawl in bed with Bill and I.  It has been one fun ride with watching, seeing, observing, and learning with the babies.  They are full of spunk and adorable. 
Next time I will tell you all about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment